34 Injured in 71 Traffic Accidents Over the Past Week in Northern Cyprus
In the past week, 34 people were injured in 71 traffic accidents in the country. The total damage from these accidents amounted to 4,660,500 TL.
The Traffic Department of the Police General Directorate shared its weekly traffic accident report for the period of September 18-24. According to the report, there were 71 traffic accidents in one week, resulting in 24 injuries and 47 cases of damage, with 34 people injured.
The causes of traffic accidents during this period were listed as follows: speeding (22), reckless driving (18), failure to stop at intersections (12), tailgating (11), and other factors (8).
The total damage caused by the accidents amounted to 4,660,500 TL, with the distribution of accidents by district being as follows: 15 in Nicosia, 23 in Famagusta and Kyrenia, 6 in Güzelyurt, and 4 in İskele.
TRAFFIC CHECKS: 16,030 DRIVERS INSPECTED
During the period of September 18-24, a total of 16,030 vehicle drivers were inspected by the police in the country. Among them, 1,462 drivers were found to have committed offenses and were reported for legal action.
The distribution of offenses is as follows:
- Speeding (543)
- Dangerous driving (7)
- Reckless driving (27)
- Operating a vehicle without navigation license (167)
- Driving without a license (8)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (70)
- Using a mobile phone while driving (252)
- Not wearing a seatbelt (70)
- Not obeying traffic signs and signals (60)
- Not obeying traffic lights (5)
- Driving without inspection (73)
- Driving without insurance or using an unauthorized coverage (48)
- Unauthorized use of vehicles for passenger transport "T" (7)
- Unauthorized use of vehicles for special cargo transport "B" (2)
- Riding a motorcycle without a protective helmet (5)
- 118 other traffic violations.